While we are pleased to report our local communities’ opinion is vastly positive on our students’ behaviour and we regularly receive calls to tell us of the good our students are doing in the community, we are seeing a small but concerning rise in complaints about the conduct of our parents. This includes being inconsiderate when parking on Wake Green and College Road, and being disrespectful, aggressive and rude to members of our staff and community.
Here at Moseley School and Sixth Form, we work to build positive relationships with all of our students and their families to create a respectful and compassionate school and community. We are all focused on ensuring our students receive the best education, care, guidance and support. We build on the foundation that you as parents and carers have created, to ensure they are ready for adulthood by developing their understanding of community, respect and responsibility.
When students join Moseley School and Sixth Form, parents and members of staff both sign the Home School Agreement and agree to work together. This can be found in the student planner and on our website. We would like to take this opportunity to remind you of the parents/carers section of the agreement:
- My/our child will attend school regularly, punctually and properly equipped.
- I/we will inform the school on the first day of any absence.
- I/we will make the school aware of any safeguarding issues and other concerns that might affect my child’s work or conduct.
- I /we support the school’s policies and guidelines for student conduct.
- I/we will attend parents’ evenings and discussions about my child’s progress.
- I/we will notify school if my child has a medical condition and will provide updates as required.
- I/we will support my child’s progress by encouraging him/her to attend additional intervention sessions when required.
- I/we will have due regard for the safety of other students, of the wider community and of the law when transporting students to and from school.
- I will encourage my child to treat other members of the school community with respect and compassion.
We ask that when attending the school, speaking to members of our staff or a member of our community, you ensure that you are modelling respectful and considerate behaviour.
We will not accept behaviour from parents that we would not tolerate from our students and staff, and should we encounter this we will and can refuse to communicate with the abusive family member.
Thank you to the overwhelming majority of parents and carers with whom we have mutually respectful and supportive conversations and relationships.
Mr A Bate